Hurricane Recovery – Once the Storm Clears
With hurricane season in full swing, preparation plans are critical. In addition to storm preparation kits and emergency plans, it is also important to develop a plan to protect landscape and turf at homes, sports fields, golf courses, and commercial properties. Maintaining healthy trees and plants is one of the best ways to help landscapes weather the storm. From high winds to salt toxicity, revolutionary plant health care companies, we have several options to help prepare and recover from the impacts of hurricanes and other major storms.
Excess sodium build-up from storm surge, salt water intrusion, and driving coastal rains can wreak havoc on landscapes. Using Na-X™ Soil Salt Flush will help eradicate this problem. It is a liquid electrolyte solution of urea and calcium designed to rapidly reduce sodium levels and improve soil structure.
Storms often bring a significant amount of rainfall and power outages, which can knock out irrigation systems for a week or longer. Greenhouse growers, nurseries, farms, and garden centers may have to lay plants down or disconnect their irrigation systems during storm preparation. Minimizing stress from lack of water following a major storm can help prevent further damage from pest pressures and disease. Maintaining proper soil moisture management as part of a regular maintenance program promotes healthier plants, which will be less susceptible to a variety of stressors.
Hydretain® is a unique root zone moisture management technology that functions to convert subsurface moisture vapor into plant usable water droplets. Hydretain reduces drought stress by maintaining the water supply to plants for extended periods between watering.
Strong roots lead to healthy plants. Whether installing new plants or maintaining existing ones, focusing on root development is one of the best ways to protect plants from different stressors throughout the growing season, as well as during major storms. Building a strong and healthy root mass can also help protect trees and other plants from being uprooted from high winds. Root enhancement technologies are a great tool to help plants recover from stress or storm damage.
CytoGro® (foliar or soil applied) is an EPA registered hormone biostimulant for root development. It promotes deeper, denser root systems, increases stress tolerance, speeds recovery, improves salinity tolerance, and increases transplant survival.
NutriRoot® (soil applied) supplies organic matter and aids in the proliferation of soil microorganisms. This formulation reduces water run-off from repellent and dry soil surfaces. Benefits:
- Aids in transplant success
- Reduces watering frequency and plant loss
- Increases root development
- Provides supplemental micro and macro nutrients
Shortstop® 2SC (basal drench) assists in internal water management under high salt soil conditions. It increases fine root mass after root loss from weather events or soil erosion, and it encourages thicker foliage that is more resistant to pest pressure. Shortstop 2SC reduces pruning and enhances chlorophyll production, resulting in greener plants.
Nutrition, Insect, and Disease Management
Plants that are already stressed from nutritional deficiencies, insect infestations, or disease are far more susceptible to storm damage. Maintaining proper nutritional, insect, and disease management programs helps keep plants safe during adverse weather conditions. Arborjet recommends strengthening palm and trees’ natural defenses by protecting them against attack by using its 3-Step Plant Healthcare (PHC) Program.
- Nutrient package formulated to improve overall plant health and vigor
- Trunk injection for quick uptake of nutrients
- Long residual (full season in many cases)
- Low doses with effective results
- Plant resistance activator (stimulates plants’ own defense system)
- Strengthens cell walls (aids in plant recovery)
- Works as a fungicide, plant health elicitor, and degrades into plant nutritional components
- Season-long control of many insect pests, including White Fly, Royal Palm Bug, Weevils (including Palm), Mealybug, Soft Scales, Leafhoppers, Leaf Miners, Buprestid Borers, Longhorn Beetle, and many more
- Injected insecticide for two-year control of insect and mite pests, including Pine Bark Beetle, Ambrosia Beetle, Leaf Feeding Caterpillars, Gall Wasp (various), Borers (various), Conifer Mites, and many others in deciduous, coniferous, and palm trees